I know that doesn't have anything to do with liking the word mango but then it is a cool word, don't you think? I always hear it in my head with the theme song "Monday Monday" by the Mamas & the Papas. Can you hear it now? Mango, Mango... da da da dadaaaa. Ya, I know I'm weird, just accept it and move on. I mean, it makes me a little more un-boring, don't you think? Ya, me too.
Anyway, I had Mango, Mango going through my head today as I painted up my mangos. I am pretty thrilled at how they turned out, especially the shadows beneath the fruit. I've been working hard to get shadows accurately onto the page without having to constantly pull them up with a tissue and start again. (Addendum: I noticed when I scanned my mangos that the lighter shadows disappeared from the scan, so just note that where the color is under the mango, it also used to have light Payne's grey and carbazole violet under it. You can just see the outer line if you really look beyond the pinky-orange.)
For the red part, I laid down transparent orange with a tiny bit of permanent red in the mid part then quin magenta at the darkest part on the bum end. For the green I mixed a green using phthalo blue (RS) with pure yellow because Phthalo is a neutral blue (not too warm or too cool) and the pure yellow. Those would mix the best brighter green I could get right now. To brighten it a little I added a little cobalt turquoise as I find that can brighten a dull green. It worked pretty well. I added sap green in the darkest parts and pure yellow again in the light yellow parts. Then to marry the two, the red and green side, I added a bit of quin gold over both colors that "met" in the middle. Also I added some more of that color to the base, knowing I'd be adding darker shades to that as it's shadow on the fruit.
For the cut mango I put quin gold in the deep crevices, transparent orange mixed with new gamboge for the sides of the crevices and kept working that to deepen the crevices.When I added shadow on the fruit I added carbazole violet to the bum end over the quin magenta and into the crevices of the cut fruit. The "floor" shadow is a mix of Payne's grey and carbazole violet. Then for the light shadows I added a tiny bit of transparent orange and quin pink as the fruit reflection in the shadow area. That's it, pretty much. Re-ink it all, add dots for texture (probably should have used a brown pen for that but I was too lazy to get up and find one, lol). Done.
Tweet this Post