|My Original Abstract|
Fast forward 6 months. Yes, you guessed it, I was afraid to screw it up so I put off the rework. As time passed I knew the rose was "in" the painting but I was having more and more trouble seeing it. This morning I once again passed that undiscovered rose abstract and thought, "what the hell." So I picked it up, took it out of it's plastic, ripped of it's matting and sat down to "find" that rose.
First I defined the most obvious "leaves" on the left side of the painting using Sakura Micron Archival ink (01). Then I defined a few lower petals. I had to spend several minutes (read an hour, lol) sitting and staring at the abstract, sometimes making a few marks. It took a while to know where to go to define the petals. The leaves were easier but the petals were quite arbitrary. After picking and choosing where to go I then started highlighting and darkening places on each petal. Some needed shading, some needed more coloration to define the highlights. I thickened the lines around each petal using a 08 Sakura and added a few other leaves here and there. Oh, I also added a stem and calyx to my fuchsia/Opera rose. Happily, as I wrote this post and said I was going to find the undiscovered rose in the abstract painting I inadvertently named my newly reworked painting. Here it is...
|Artist: Jennifer McLean|
Title: Undiscovered Rose
|Close-Up #1||Close-Up #2|